September 7, 2023
Hydrogen Steam Methane Reforming
Steam methane reforming (SMR) is the most widely used technique for creating hydrogen. It’s proven to be a highly cost-effective and efficient method. Likewise, hydrogen filters are an increasingly popular solution for SMR and other hydrogen production strategies.
High-pressure hydrogen filters help ensure a clean, safe and efficient SMR process. Learn more about how both SMR and hydrogen filters work — and how they’re even more effective together.
What Is Hydrogen Steam Methane Reforming?
SMR is the go-to process for hydrogen generation, producing most of the United States’ hydrogen supply. During SMR, steam ranging from 700 to 1,000 degrees Celsius is used to heat methane derived from natural gas. The methane interacts with steam under 3 to 25 bar pressure with a catalyst. Keep in mind that one bar equals 14.5 pounds per square inch.
This reaction creates a combination of carbon monoxide, hydrogen and a small volume of carbon dioxide. This mixture can then be used as a fuel and in organic synthesis. SMR is an endothermic reaction, which relies on a constant state of energy to create a continuous reaction.
A process known as the water-gas shift reaction follows this interaction. The steam and carbon monoxide react using a catalyst to generate carbon dioxide and more hydrogen.
A final step called “pressure-swing adsorption” follows the water-gas shift reaction. During this stage, carbon dioxide and other impurities — such as chlorine, sulfur and carbon oxides — filter out of the gas stream. This leaves behind the final product — pure hydrogen. SMR can also generate hydrogen from other fuels, like propane, gasoline and ethanol.
There are two ways to store hydrogen after production is complete:
- Gas: When storing hydrogen as a gas, you’ll need a high-pressure tank that reaches 350-700 bar (5,075-10,150 pounds per square inch).
- Liquid: Due to hydrogen’s boiling point of -252.9 degrees Celsius, liquid hydrogen storage requires cryogenic temperatures.
The Value of Steam Methane Reforming
SMR offers numerous benefits, including but not limited to:
- Efficiency: While high-temperature steam must be supplied for SMR, this process can be auto-thermally executed due to the partial oxidation of the hydrocarbon that occurs. When natural gas is used for steam reforming, its efficiency is about 60%-70%.
- Versatility: Reforming natural gas can create hydrogen for fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs), power generation and other applications.
- Fewer emissions: Hydrogen-powered FCEVs have lower emissions and petroleum use than standard gasoline-powered vehicles. An FCEV tailpipe produces water vapor. Despite the upstream process of generating hydrogen from natural gas and storing it for FCEV use, petroleum is reduced by over 90%. Additionally, the total greenhouse gas emissions are cut in half.
- Affordability: SMR from hydrocarbons and natural gas is the most inexpensive way to generate pure industrial hydrogen.
With the cost savings, efficiency and range of uses this process brings, it’s no surprise that SMR accounts for nearly half of global hydrogen production.
What Is a Hydrogen Filter?
SMR uses electricity to split water and release oxygen and hydrogen. The process can leave behind large amounts of water that must be removed to produce pure hydrogen. Therefore, you’ll need a hydrogen filter to separate the gas and liquid in your SMR system.
A hydrogen filter also helps protect hydrogen from contamination and damage. This filter removes impurities and restricts the intake of future ones. It helps protect your SMR system from failure caused by particle buildup between parts. Preventing damage keeps your system safer, decreases downtime and minimizes costly repairs and replacements.
Hydrogen filters fulfill an array of applications. Hydrogen storage and transportation require reliable hydrogen filters to maintain quality. Hydrogen filters can be used for tube trailers, pipelines and hydrogen tankers. Additionally, hydrogen filters come in many shapes and sizes that offer clients maximum versatility and optimization.
Our Available Hydrogen Filters
At Chase Filters & Components, we specialize in high-pressure hydrogen filters to keep fluid contaminant-free, helping your equipment achieve maximum performance. Our filters can withstand even the most demanding temperatures, pressures and corrosion. Explore some of the solutions we offer below.
Available in 6,000 pounds per square inch for stainless steel and 5,000 pounds per square inch for aluminum, our 51 Series T-Type Filters can keep harmful particles from damaging your fluid. These high-pressure filters eliminate dirt, rust, scale and other contaminants to improve efficiency.
Our 51 Series boasts a variety of other features to support functionality:
- Multiple bowl drain options
- Differential pressure indicator
- Various O-ring options
- Two stainless steel grades — 303 and 316
- A wide range of micro ratings
- Micro-glass, cellulose, sintered metal and stainless steel wire mesh options
Our high-pressure 52 Series T-Type Filters are ideal for removing water, rust, dirt, scale and other particles from your fluid supply. Reaching pressures of up to 20,000 pounds per square inch, the 52 Series can help you achieve optimal productivity and efficiency, all while reducing maintenance costs for your facility.
These filters provide various configuration options and features to accommodate your needs:
- Stainless steel, porous sintered stainless steel, fiber metal felt and micro-glass options
- Flows up to 24 gallons per minute or 1,200 standard cubic feet per minute
- Housing offered in 303, 316 and 17-4 precipitation-hardened stainless steel
- A variety of port sizes
Industries We Serve
Both our 51 and 52 Series filters provide outstanding performance in manufacturing, commercial and industrial markets, including:
- Alternate fuels
- Compressed natural gas
- Industrial automation and equipment
- Lubrication fluids
- Oil field services
- Power generation
- Pulp and paper
- Test stand builders
Choose Chase Filters & Components for High-Quality Hydrogen Filters
At Chase Filters & Components, we make it simple to find the ideal hydrogen filters for your requirements. With over 30 years of expertise, our team can help you determine a suitable filter type and size based on your specifications. We offer quick turnaround times and guarantee 99% efficiency with our products.
Preserve the condition and quality of your hydrogen products and fluid system with filters from our selection. Browse our available hydrogen filters or contact us with questions about finding the right solutions.